Since I just recently blogged about the blogs that inspire me, I'll limit this post to the rules for accepting the Versatile Blogger Award. Those rules are to share seven facts about us, and to pass the award on to 15 new or newly discovered bloggers. Fun! I love that these awards get bloggers to share more about themselves so that we can learn more about each other. If I run out of interesting things to share about myself, I'll share a few tidbits about Oscar.
- I am nuts about hockey (watching, not playing). I am Canadian, after all. My favourite team is the Edmonton Oilers, because Edmonton is my hometown. It's been a dreary few years for my beloved Oilers, but hopefully with a couple of years of high draft picks, they may make a comeback!
- I'm a huge bookworm. I read mostly fiction, though I am eagerly awaiting a couple of dog training books from Amazon. I recently bought a Kobo digital reader. I wasn't sure how much I would like it, since I couldn't imagine not reading from a real book (no pages to flip...how would that work?), but I actually love it. It's light, convenient, and it holds a ton of books, which is so handy for when I travel. No more lugging two or three books in my purse on the plane! Not to mention e-books are much cheaper than real books.
- I am an amateur gardener, and I like it a lot, though I sometimes get lazy with it. We moved into our house just over a year ago. The homeowners before us had a pretty big garden, so I thought it would be nice to build on it. It was a bit tough though - as a newbie gardener, I couldn't really tell the weeds apart from the "good" plants. I've probably left a few weeds that I should have pulled, and pulled a few plants that I should have kept, but the garden is slowly filling up. We have started late on our vegetable garden this year - hopefully not too late! That's the plan for this weekend. It's so nice having fresh produce in your own backyard!
- I used to want to open a bookstore/coffee shop, but realized that there's no way I could ever compete with the Chapters/Starbucks superteam. My new dream is of opening a coffee/pet shop. I went to one in town and thought it was the cutest thing ever! I used to work as a barista, so remain confident that I could still make a good cup of coffee (or a latte or cappuccino). If I could do that in a place where I could also sell dog food, treats and toys, that would be so much fun!
- Now for a few facts about Oscar. I think Oscar is a lefty. Our puppy class trainer said you could tell whether a dog was a lefty or a righty by seeing which paw they instinctively bring up first when you teach them to shake a paw. Oscar pretty much consistently uses his left paw.
- Oscar was the odd pup out in his litter - in a good way. We were pretty sure that we wanted a male puppy, because they are more playful. We also liked the look of a salt and pepper schnauzer. He was the only salt and pepper male in a litter of four. He has three sisters, and all three of them are all black.
- We have finally found a toy that Oscar will play with which has nothing to do with food. Shocking, I know. The miracle invention is the Jolly Ball Teaser Ball, which is essentially a plastic ball with holes cut out of it, with a smaller ball inside that's just too big to actually fall out of the holes. Oscar tries (without success) to get the little ball out of the big ball. He chases it around almost every day and hasn't gotten sick of it yet. I love this thing!
Here are 15 blogs that are either new, or (relatively) new to me, that I really enjoy following. Please stop by and check them out!
4. Kol's Notes
12. Kirby the Dorkie
14. Betsy Boo
15. The Elka Almanac